Apple vs Android in the Enterprise

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Sep 15 17:08:42 EDT 2011

So, our customer would like us to build both an iOS and Android app for
their advisers. I thought this should be simple. Let's see-- for Apple,
we'll need an Enterprise license and for Android we'll need..hmmm. zippo.
Just build and deploy on Android (sweet!)

So, of course Apple wants another 300 bucks, what's new. You don't get to be
the richest company in the US by not being greedy, and certainly developers
are a good source of revenue. OK, fine. Now, first thing it turns out you
also need, is a D&B rating (Dunn & Bradstreet) and they can give you that
for another $500. Thankfully, our small company has been in business long
enough to know D&B ratings are necessary and we already have one.

Next, Apple's asking to fax them our Articles of Incorporation. So, I sent
them copies, but they can't validate them because they can't see the seal
well enough in the copies. So, now we need to send them other legal
documents-- they'll forward me a list of what ELSE they will need. We're now
past 30 days into this and they tell me we're in the 'middle' of the process
and can't tell me when they will anoint us with their blessings of an
Enterprise license. Who knows, when, if ever, that will be.

The more I work as an Apple developer, the more frustrating it becomes.
Their penchant for making things as difficult as possible just never stops.

If only Google can get things better together on the Android side of things.
I predict another Mac vs Windows change in balance of power soon after Steve
Jobs is no longer with the company. From what I hear about iPhone 5, it's
going to be a big disappointment. Without Steve puffing things up, people
will start looking elsewhere.

--
Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc.