revFontLoad: font size issues?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 17:06:01 EDT 2011

On 09/14/2011 11:34 PM, Curt Ford wrote:
> Scott,
>
> thanks for the ideas.. I'm not sure what you mean by explicitly
> setting the font styling at startup - would that be setting the
> textSize & textFont of the stack, or something else? In a handler, or
> the stack's property inspector, or both?
>
> I've tried setting the textSize & textFont of the stack in the
> property inspector, with no change (the IPA font appears on Windows,
> but it's very small).
>
> I've also tried a simple stack that does nothing but set the htmlText
> of a field to the contents of an HTML file that specifies the font
> size; the html code in the file was pasted from LiveCode, as the
> htmlText of a field that was displaying properly on the Mac, so I'd
> think it should display OK. Here too though the text is very small on
> Windows, though the html has tags like ..

> color="#000000">ɔ</font>
>
> ..around every IPA character. This makes me think using htmlText won't
> be a solution.

Boy Oh Boy, that seems awfully long-winded.

> It seems like such a basic thing. Does anyone have a recipe they've
> used, or would a project that requires a specific size/font really
> have to be created separately on Windows?

I don't know, but I do feel that you are making things a bit complicated.

Consider the following:

I have a program in development that will run on Mac, Linux and Windows.

I have found a font that will run on all 3 systems [well, to be honest,
I made the font myself]:
this is bundled with the program. This ensures that there are no major
"cockups" re fonts at
the end of the line.

Then I set the textFont, the textStyle and the textSize of my main stack
in an openStack script.

Of course, as I am fairly bloody-minded and like different fields to
have different text characteristics I also have a whole slew of
textFont, textStyle, textColor and textSize stuff
in preOpenCard scripts for each individual card of my stack.

Of course this approach involves rather more donkey-work than some sort
of universal declaration of text characteristics in a preOpenStack
script, but it does allow for greater flexibility and control of objects.

So . . . cop an IPA font, or design one yourself [personally I'm a great
fan of the
SIL phonetic fonts] and open it up with something like Fontforge:

http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/   Free, cross-platform; cannot be all
bad . . .  :)

and find the Unicode addresses of the IPA chars. The do everything
inside unicodeText flds; although this is slightly harder work than
plain-vanilla text flds it does mean that things won't go wonky when
your stack ends up on a machine running another OS.