Feeling hemmed-in by the name space?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Sep 12 10:57:18 EDT 2011

I like the idea of interacting with the editor like this.  The period idea is pretty clever; I'm always having to adjust names.

When I first started using Rev some years ago I used the question mark at the end of function names that returned a boolean.  However, I read someplace that the use of the special characters in names was discouraged.  So, I dropped that.  (I now tend to use a predicate or abbreviated sentence as the name of boolean functions.)

I wonder if period will someday be used to mean something and these names will break.

The # already has a meaning and @ and $ can at the start of a variable.

Many people use prefixes and that avoids much of this.  I usually don't.

The use of the ` is interesting because it can turn (for example) name into name` which can be read as name-prime.

I'm rambling.

Dar

On Sep 11, 2011, at 7:53 PM, Charlie wrote:

>     I've never been quite sure how to participate in the use-livecode digest so I'll give this email address a try.
>
>     I see discussions lately about the fact that Live-Code has used the best part of the English language for reserved words.
>
>     I've built a compiler which is a "shell" over the IDE and, of course, has it's own name space. That really compounds the problem. However, using the IDE editor there's a very easy work-around. If I type an identifier, and it comes up in any color but black I simply add a period, and it becomes "unique". I don't need to remember which ones have periods, and which don't because the editor reminds me every time. There are other special characters which will work (_?`@#$'), but the period is easy to hit and doesn't require the shift key.
>
> -Charlie Faddis, Seattle

---------------------------
Dar Scott
dba
Dar Scott Consulting
8637 Horacio Place NE
Albuquerque, NM 87111

Lab, home, office phone: +1 505 299 9497
For Skype and fax, please contact.
dsc at swcp.com

Computer Programming and tinkering,
often making LiveCode libraries and