Checksum via FTP???

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Sep 11 04:43:46 EDT 2011

Roger, the problem is that this doesn't protect you from the biggest
danger. All this does is download the file again (not desirable if it's
a large file), and then compare the md5-digest of the two downloaded
copies.

While this does protect you against a temporary glitch in one of the
downloads, it doesn't do anything about the larger danger - that the
file has become corrupted on the server. If the file on the server has
been accidentally over-written, or even worse has been maliciously
replaced by some virus-containing file, then this check won't save you.

It really is safer to have the md5-digest stored on the server. Ideally
(for the truly cautious or paranoid),  you would create the md5-digest
before uploading the file, and then keep the digests on a different
server, with a different username/password, so that even if the main
account is compromised, the digests are still secure.

-- Alex.