Purchasing from an iOs App

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Thu Sep 8 00:05:47 EDT 2011

Below is reprinted from elsewhere by a LC developer trying to get his app
approved. Ian's expertise on the subject notwithstanding, the empirical data
below may suggest no URLs of any kind, linkable or not, may not be allowed.

On Tuesday, August 23, 2011, Peter Hermsen <hermsen at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm still fighting through getting my first app approved for Apple's App
>
> Store. I figured I'd share my experiences to help others avoid the app
police.

> Background:
>
> I put together a free app that is an adjunct to a client's website. As
such, the app wouldn't do any good without first creating an account on the
website. For that reason, I provided a URL where the user could tap to open
Safari and sign up for the service.

> The app was designed to allow users to log and view status of personal
microloans. It would not manage any cash or credit transactions from within
the application.

> Rejection #1:
> 11.13 Apps that link to external mechanisms for purchases or subscriptions
to be used in the app, such as a “buy" button that goes to a web site to
purchase a digital book, will be rejected

> There weren't any links to purchases or subscriptions. However, because
the app was used to view monetary account information, it was rejected
because it was assumed to contain payment links. I resubmitted the app with
a better explanation of how it worked and that no payments could possibly be
made from within the app.

> Rejection #2:
>
> Received a phone call from the review committee. They said that they were
ok with the first part and that they would let it slide. But, since the info
button in the app mentioned that in order for it to work, the user needed an
account on the web site, and that I provided the link to sign up, it was
disallowed because "Apps can't provide a link to an external website to
solicit or facilitate enrolling in services. This was due to Apple wanting
users to be directed to the iTunes store from apps, and not to external
sites."

> OK. I bit the bullet and removed the offending reference to the fact that
users had to sign up first. I also removed the link to the website. I also
modified the info button so that it no longer navigated to a reference card
where links could possibly reside. I also removed that card from the stack,
so that there would be no references to what could be construed as a link.
Instead, I had the info button pop a dialog box describing the purpose of
the app and then put in a statement like "For additional information, please
go to http://www.website.com".  Mind you, it was in a dialog box and could
not possibly be clicked to navigate you away from the app. It was merely
informational - in case the user had questions or needed tech support. I
resubmitted the gutted version of the app.

> Rejection #3:
> 11.13 Apps that link to external mechanisms for purchases or subscriptions
to be used in the app, such as a “buy" button that goes to a web site to
purchase a digital book, will be rejected

> Really? There were NO links anywhere within the app to allow any purchases
of any type. The reviewer noted that the info screen had a URL in it that
could be referenced by a user to do something on the web that Apple
disagreed with. So, I changed the wording in the info box to the following:
"If you have questions about this app, please refer to the support URL on
the iTunes download page." and resubmitted it. I'm currently waiting for
approval. If they reject it again, only Android users will get to use the
app.

> --------
>
> So now I wait. To say that Apple is picky about what can be in apps in
their store is the understatement of the century. When you plan on
submitting anything for the App Store, make sure it's squeaky clean and
doesn't contain even a hint of financial connection or links to anything
outside the hallowed walls of Appledom. Then, maybe then, the gods will
smile upon you and accept your app.

> Good luck!
>
> Pete
>
> ****UPDATE****
> The App Store reviewers accepted the new version of the app.  paybaQ
Mobile is now online and available in the App Store.  Rule of thumb: If it
looks like a URL is visible from anywhere in the app, you're better off to
remove it prior to submission.  I haven't been able to ascertain just what
they will let through yet, but there's a much greater likelihood that an app
with no visible URLs will get through.  I think I'll wait with the next
version of the app until the date picker is ready for LC on iOS.

Chipp Walters
CEO, Shafer Walters Group, Inc.