Syllable OS and Livecode ?

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 02:05:28 EDT 2011

On 09/07/2011 05:59 AM, Peter W A Wood wrote:
> Richmond
>
> I suspect not, at least not it the short term. The Syllable Desktop OS is not a Linux distro but a whole new operating system. The Syllable Server OS is a Linux distro. I believe that it takes some effort to port a Linux application to the Syllable Desktop and would doubt that RunRev would see that as commercially worthwhile at this time. (That could of course change if Syllable were to dramatically increase in popularity).
>
> Regards
>
> Peter

Thank you.

Syllable OS describes itself (err, slight anthropomorphism there) as a
"hybrid system",
'how hybrid?' and 'how Linux compatible?' were the first 2 questions
that popped into my
mind.

Trying to get Syllable OS installed in VM Box is a huge headache, and it
will either have to
be a case of a pre-installed VW thing or my Pentium 2 that has already
been ravaged by FreeDOS and the late-lamented Damn Small Linux.

The fact that Syllable OS comes with its own Web-Browser sent me
signals, of course, that it wasn't a straight-forward Linux variant.
However, a couple of reviews say that it is less
'standalone' than systems such as Haiku.

I really admire the people who work on Haiku and Syllable OS; they look
like Davids battling
several Goliaths (in diminishing size); Microsoft, Linux and Apple.