OT: Command-line blues (ImageMagick)

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Mon Oct 31 08:24:22 EDT 2011

Richard, far be it from me to criticise the obviously clever and dedicated people who have created IM and continue to update it as free software for the good of their community: my point really is that "their community" isn't mine, or really their universe isn't mine. I think the core users of IM and other tools of that sort are primarily living in a command-line *nix-oriented world where considerable effort on the part of users just to carry out day-to-day activities is acceptable in a way which just ain't so in the world of Windows or Mac. Really as one of those GUI-using consumers, I should be, and am, glad to get crumbs from the open source table - I say this without intended irony. Having had, virtually for the first time in over 40 years, to rub up against command-lines, faceless apps, actually having to compile a program not written by me before I can use it etc etc, I guess I am suffering from a certain level of culture shock and puzzlement. But I am not claiming any superiority - indeed I am also having to come to terms with my own laziness about all this.

Best

Graham