OT: Command-line blues (ImageMagick)

Graham Samuel livfoss at mac.com
Fri Oct 28 13:16:49 EDT 2011

Thanks Roger for reading through my long email. It is true that IM includes GhostScript. The main problem for me is that as well as reading PDFs, I want to read TIFFs. Using IM kills these two birds with one stone; but this would not be a solution if my target platform was a Mac, because of the installation problems I've outlined. As a matter of interest, was the installation of GS on the Mac in your project sufficiently straightforward that it could be packaged for someone with no experience outside the use of conventional installers for 'normal' (i.e. Mac GUI-based) apps? You seem to say that it's not problematic.

Once installed, I think IM works well and I will eventually understand the difference between the LS 'shell' command and just using the command line via a Terminal-type interface - I've written another mail to the list on this.

Graham