Limiting field entry to plain text

Peter M. Brigham, MD pmbrig at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 14:16:19 EDT 2011

It occurred to me a little belatedly that someone might be interested in a handler I use for pasting unformatted text (so that it matches the text formatting of the target field). I have this in my LC frontscript, so it's available to me everywhere in LC:

on commandKeyDown pKey
   -- command-control-V pastes plain text
   -- (to match the formatting of the target field)
   if pKey is not "V" then pass commandKeyDown
   if the controlKey is up then pass commandKeyDown
   -- cmd-ctrl-V only
   if the tool is not "browse tool" then pass commandKeyDown
   if the clipboard is not "text" then pass commandKeyDown
   if the selectedField is empty then pass commandKeyDown
   if the long name of the target contains "revNewScriptEditor" \
            then pass commandKeyDown
   -- other cases are now filtered out,
   -- plain text is needed
   set the HTMLText of the templatefield to the clipboardData["HTML"]
   if the autoTab of the selectedField then
      get the text of the templatefield
      replace return with space in it
      set the text of the templatefield to it
   end if
   set the clipboardData["TEXT"] to the text of the templatefield
   reset the templatefield
   paste
end commandKeyDown

Very handy thing to have available, I have found. This will need tweaking for a Windows platform, given the differences in commandkey/controlkey handling c/w OSX. Just alter it to use another modifier key combo as needed.

-- Peter

Peter M. Brigham
pmbrig at gmail.com
http://home.comcast.net/~pmbrig