[OT] Box.net free 50Gb for iOS 5 users

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Oct 26 22:45:00 EDT 2011

On 10/26/11 9:11 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 10/26/11 8:34 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:
>
>> The excellent GoodReader app for iPhone and iPad has hooks for
>> Box.net. With
>> it you can upload files from your iOS device, as well as transfer from
>> Google and/or Dropbox and others. Not sure if there's a GoodReader for
>> Android.
>
> I don't see it in the Market.

Okay, I found two Android apps.

One is the official one, called "Box". From the app comments: It won't
allow downloads. It will open certain files it recognizes, but doesn't
give you a choice of which app to open it in, and apparently often
guesses wrong. You do have the option of downloading the file you are
about to open so that it is cached, but once downloaded there is no way
to delete it from the device (permissions, I'd assume, but I'm
guessing.) It crashes on a lot of devices. It doesn't allow you to move
it to the SD card. My system storage is full of LiveCode apps I can't
move, so there is no room for this.

The other, apparently better choice, is a third-party app called
"Boxoid". It does allow downloads as well as uploads. It has some nice
folder and file viewing functions. About half the users can't log in
with it, but there was just an update that is supposed to fix that. The
update has worked for some, not for others. It, too, does not allow
moving to SD card so I don't have room for this one either.

Once I finish working on my LiveCode apps I can delete them from the
device and make some room. Or maybe RR will let us move them pretty
soon. There are way too many apps that really do require system storage
to work, so you end up having to choose what you will install. My cheapo
tablet gives me only minimal system storage space.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com