[OT] Interesting Read On Tech In Classrooms vs None

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Tue Oct 25 19:06:25 EDT 2011

Judy you are describing my workplace! I guess the problem persists into the workplace as well. If school children were taught how to solve problems instead of memorize answers, I think we would find that when confronted with technology, they as adults would have the skills to incorporate the technology into whatever it is they needed to do. As is, unless they can find it on Google, they give up trying. Some don't even know to use Google!

We seem to have transformed from a nation of problem solvers to one of automatons. Maybe I am being pessimistic, but I work with people everyday who want the best hardware and software, and then end up producing unadulterated garbage with it. Web sites that should never see the light of day, video clips posted to the web that I would be embarrassed to have my name attached to for fear my reputation would be irrevocably ruined, step by step lists of how to do something on a sticky note that reveal the person knows absolutely nothing about what it is they are doing, users that get stuck at the logon screen because their password doesn't work and cannot fathom that the user name has changed, or why that would make a difference (I just enter my password every day, that is all I know!) I could go on.

I say, define and support mission critical technology, scrap technology for other positions, replace the people who cannot cope. It's the only way back from the brink. Ye Old Curmudgeon has spoken.

Bob