Limiting field entry to plain text

John Brozycki johnb at hvc.rr.com
Tue Oct 25 14:51:22 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I have an input field that accepts URLs.  If a user copies a URL from an email or a website and pastes it, it is pasted in HTML format.  I only want the field to be plain text.  I can set the font and size, but it seems like fields always exist with (plain)text and htmltext states and LiveCode automatically accepts htmltext when it's entered.  Is there a setting to make a field ONLY plaintext, even if a user copies and pastes a URL from an email or browser?

My current workaround is to trap the paste function for the field, then paste and convert it, which happens instantaneously from a user standpoint:

on pasteKey
   paste
   set the htmltext of field "URLField" to the text of field "URLField"
end pasteKey

So, this works, but I was wondering if there is a way to limit a field to only plaintext so I wouldn't have to do this.  Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,
John