Making Sense of Licenses

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 06:20:19 EDT 2011

it says talk to Heather, she will work out something that's fair, and it also
says stay with them because this is a long term thing.  It may be that some
things about pricing or licensing are not what you would like right now, but
over time it will be OK.  It also says that there are alternatives, but they
are not cost free.  They may not cost so much in money, Python is completely
free, but money is not the only thing you pay in.

I should have been a bit clearer, sorry, it was a bit self indulgent.  On
the specific license issue, what Heather told me to do was pretty much what
you advised.  Upgrade when clear you need to and skip a release if you are
not sure you need it.

I think in the end this is about free versus commercial.  If you go
commercial there is a certain cost of staying current.  It can be minimised,
as you advise doing by choosing your releases carefully.  But in the end you
have to pay the price, so the decision is, are you prepared for this?   It
needs to be budgeted for. If the OP can't afford the price in money or does
not want to pay it, there is always Python. I thought long and hard about
Python when discontented with the Linux version, still do sometimes, but
stayed for the above reasons, and decided that I would budget for whatever
upgrades were needed.

My advice would be think hard, because this is a long term commitment both
in time and in money, and if you stay with Rev, be prepared for the
financial cost, which may be higher than you've been assuming.