[OT] Onanistic Ocelot?

Peter Alcibiades palcibiades-first at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 19 03:46:06 EDT 2011

Yes, I completely agree.  The Gnome people and the Ubuntu team with them,
have gone completely off the rails with this one.  Like KDE did before them.
I'm about to install a new system for someone, and will put in something
with Gnome 2.  Debian 6 is my obvious choice, or Mageia maybe, and Mint
seems to be very well regarded.  Don't know if you noticed, Richmond, but
the latest drop of Mint comes with a Debian base?  That could be the best of
all worlds.

There is a thoughtful review of Gnome3 here:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3.html

and it has some other suggestions.  One of them is the Red Hat based
Scientific Linux which the author has previously given a rave review to -
contrary to its name its a general purpose desktop.  The advantage here is
long term support for Gnome2 from Red Hat + most of the non-free addons
needed to make life simple.  And CERN is going to be around.  Another
suggestion which deserves serious consideration is to move to xfce.  Its
nice, its fast, its easy, its has lots of the good features Gnome2 used to
have, and its run by people who do not for some crazed reason think
everything with a screen has to look like an iphone.  I think my Debian 6
users are going to have to move to xfce when and if the next release goes to
Gnome 3.

What has happened with both Gnome and KDE is an awful lesson about user
interfaces.  The way this works in the real world has nothing to do with
Fitt's Law or whatever.  It has to do with the fact that as people learn a
certain way of working, they get better and faster at it.  It may not be
what we all think is 'the right' way of working.   But very often this way
of doing things, whatever we think about it, is a whole lot better, for
them, than the upheaval of getting to 'the right' way.

Its a lesson that any software developer ignores at his peril.