[OT] Onanistic Ocelot?

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Sat Oct 15 14:37:46 EDT 2011

> But the thing is, for stablity, what you need is rolling release and
> occasional well tested major upgrades.  That's Debian.  There is a reason
> the Ubuntu derivatives are moviing to Debian based.  Mint, Warren Woodford
> of Mepis.

CentOS is pretty stable and it is not a rolling release. Distros are moving
away from Ubuntu because of Ubuntu move to Unity and Wayland, it is not
related to stability or rolling releases. Ubuntu is no longer "one more
distro", it has a clear and defined path that moves it away from the
majority of Linux distributions. While 80% of Linux distros are basically
the same thing but with little differences such as what package manager it
uses, where should some files go, etc, Ubuntu is now moving to improve the
end user experience. Some might not want the new Ubuntu experience. Lots and
lots of old time Linux users are pretty confortable with Gnome2, KDE and
others and don't want to be forced into a new way of doing things. The point
is, for the average user, linux is hard and the new Ubuntu (along with the
new Fedora) makes it easier and different.

Debian, Arch, Slackware. SUSE, are all GREAT distributions but I doubt some
average user with no manual will be able to install them and bring them to a
usable and productive state in a short time. How many newbies know how to
work in /etc or tweek their rc.d stuff? And they shouldn`t need to.

Ubuntu added two things that are really important in Ocelot:

1 - Unity as default desktop environment.
This is the one people keep complaining (bring back gnome2... bla bla bla).
Users don't want to change. Heck, if Ubuntu 10 or 9 is working for you, why
upgrade?? I have a Ubuntu 9.04 box here and it is happy. Power users can
always install Gnome2 and switch desktops. This is done with the average
user in mind.

2 - Ubuntu appStore
This is the big one and no one noticed. Ubuntu has an App Store like the
Mac. With free and paid software, reviews, everything. This is what made me
move back to Ubuntu. I see great potential in this because it helps the
normal user. Newbies don't go apt-getting stuff, they want it simple and the
new AppStore rocks.

It no longer about rolling releases, the derivative distros are moving away
because ubuntu is aiming for something that they can't work with.

--
http://www.andregarzia.com -- All We Do Is Code.
http://fon.nu -- minimalist url shortening service.