new iPhone 4s

Bill Vlahos bvlahos at mac.com
Wed Oct 5 02:59:47 EDT 2011

Firstly. I'm not trying to start or fan a flame war on phones.
I use LiveCode because it supports all platforms.

On Oct 4, 2011, at 11:12 PM, Pete wrote:

> My wife and I just upgraded our phones (with Verizon).  We each had a Droid
> Eris and I have to say they sucked.
>
> I upgraded to an HTC Incredible and my wife got an iPhone 4.  I am extremely
> happy with my Incredible - it is a huge advance over the Eris in every way.
> I have had it for about a month now and have NEVER had to reboot it.
Glad to hear that.

> I'm interested in the comment about malware, lack of controls and poor
> security.  Any more info available?
Malware: http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/08/23/mcafee.shows.android.facing.huge.spike.in.malware/

Encryption: Honeycomb is the first Android OS to provide built in encryption and I don't believe any Android phones are running it yet.
The iPhone has always had encryption built in with the 3GS and 4 done in hardware.

The openness that people like about Android lets you anything from anywhere so there is very little vetting of software. As far as I know this cannot be disabled. Check the Malware and Security section in the wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

> Because I'd like to be aware of
> problems in those areas so I can take steps to prevent them.
Don't Jail Break your phone. I can't believe the number of people who complain about iPhone security on JailBroken phones where the purpose of breaking them is to bypass the security.
> I've already
> installed an anti-virus app.  And let's not forget the hoo hah a couple of
> months ago regarding the file of location info that Apple secretly collected
> on the iPhone
That file was a mistake, was never uploaded to Apple and has since been removed. Google has more problems in this area. Read more in the wikipedia entry on Privacy.