Licensing Issues for LC developers [was: Re: Reading PDF - a cry for help]

Kee Nethery kee at kagi.com
Mon Oct 3 10:17:07 EDT 2011

FYI:

The work around that I have seen used is to keep your code and the GPL code completely separate. In fact, when someone downloads and installs your code, the very first thing your code would do is ask people to approve the install of the GPL code. Then if they say yes, download the binary and install it on their computer. If they say no, let them know your software cannot function without the GPL code and then offer them the option of getting a refund or having your code download the GPL binary..

Thus, you ship just your code. They purchase just your code. Your code installs the free GPL code if the user asks for it to be installed. In your manual or help screens you provide links to the source of the GPL code.

That process seems to be used by others. Of course, I am not a lawyer and I don't even play one on TV so you should assume everything I have just written is incorrect.

Kee Nethery