On-Rev mySQL security issues? -- or use an LC stack for the DB?

Tim Selander selander at tkf.att.ne.jp
Sun Nov 27 22:55:32 EST 2011

Hi Kay,

Appreciate the input... I've wondered about mySQL's license, too.

Here is additional info. My catalog is an archive of the radio
and TV programs we've aired. We will create the database and add
to it bit by bit behind the scenes. No data will be input through
the web/browser -- strictly look ups: Find all programs from year
1999 that had Mr. Suzuki as a guest, and listen to them; that
sort of thing. I've got a simple test working ok with mySQL, but
no input validation yet.

Do I need input validation if the web interface is search only?

Also, I understand that the new LC server available on on-rev.com
can serve stacks. Would it be less hassle/security risk to use a
data stack, or even a big text file, as the database? We'll
probably max out at 10,000 records or so... not breaking a sweat
for a sql database. Manageable on a stack?  Need UTF8 (Japanese)
which is working nicely with the web/mysql combo...

Any thoughts on validation needs for lookups only? And on using a
stack or text file for the data? (Hmmm... how does the LC server
handle variables - limit on size?)

Thanks!

Tim Selander
Tokyo, Japan