LiveCode.tv Event #44 Wrap-up

Mark Schonewille m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com
Wed Nov 23 19:29:02 EST 2011

Dear LiveCoders,

Before I wrap up the latest LiveCode.tv event, I have a sad announcement to make. Even though we optimistically checked out which system we might use for the next broadcasting, it looks like we've had our last event. As far as I know there is no one who wants to do another presentation.

If you don't want it to end, then contact us. Write to m.schonewille at economy-x-talk.com or bvg at mac.com or click here http://qery.us/du to send a message.

Last Saturday, 19 November, Björnke showed us how streaming with Justin.tv works, in comparison to Ustream.tv. Keep reading to find out what the conclusions are.

You can find Björnke's videos at http://qery.us/1cz and
http://www.twitch.tv/livecode/b/300423356

We compared http://justin.tv and http://ustream.tv.

* Justin.tv:
Pro:
- Superb quality
- Great Control over degrading the quality
- Automatic Youtube upload
- Can stream to other peoples channel
- Ads only at the beginning
Contra:
- Extremely Hard setup
Neutral:
- Useless standalone flash streaming client

* Ustream.tv:
Pro:
- Easy to set up
Contra:
- Horrible quality
- Disconnects
- No archiving
- No colaboration features
- Random ads
Neutral:
- Website Flash streaming client (no use to us)

The following programmes were referred to during the discussion. If you have a Mac, you might want to check them out.

- CamTwist (needed to record screen):
http://camtwist.com/
- Apple QuickTime Broadcaster (for sending stuff to the server):
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL764
- Flash Media Live Encoder (for sending stuff the server alternative):
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/flashmediaencoder/
- lineIn (audio rerouting):
http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/
- soundFlower (audio rerouting):