Can't (quite) Capitalize Card Name in property inspector

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 03:54:42 EST 2011

On 11/22/2011 10:49 PM, AcidJazz wrote:
> I have cards named:  condition1, condition2, etc.     and want (owing no
> doubt to my own obsessive compulsive tendencies) to rename them to:
> Condition1, Condition2, etc.    Yes, I merely want to capitalize the names.
>
> However, when I change the little "c" to a big "C" it accepts it in the
> property inspector window, but doesn't change it in the application browser
> (even after clicking the little "refresh" icon at the bottom), nor does the
> change show up if I type "put the name of this card" in the message box.
> In fact, typing "set the name of this card to "Condition 1" doesn't do it
> either.   But,... If I type a space before the big "C" (i.e.,  " Condition
> 1") in the inspector window, then the change takes.   I can then delete the
> space, and I get "Condition 1" in the application browser and the message
> box.   Weird!    Is this some kind of (admittedly trivial) bug?   I can't
> find anything about this.
>
> Mark

I have a feeling that this is something to do with the fact that
Livecode doesn't distinguish between upper
and lower case letters (in English at least); after all, the thing
doesn't seem to mind if I type:

on mouseUp

or

ON MOUSEUP

or, for that matter:

oN MoUseuP

certainly for daft types like me (who do things such as forgetting one
has left the caps-lock down)
this is jolly convenient; however, like everything else, it does have
its downside as you are discovering.

I really don't know whether it might not be a bad idea for Livecode to
move to strict adherence to
capitalization; but, on balance, I think it would; especially if the
debugger would trap my use of the
wrong case.