[OT] A FLASH in the pan? Part 2

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 13:56:07 EST 2011

"The movement to rid the world of the Flash Player plugin"

http://occupyflash.org/

Wow; how immature can one get!!!!

"The only way to truly force the web to embrace modern open standards is
to invalidate old technology."

I don't like that word 'force', and I feel fairly dicky about 'modern
open standards'; especially as "modern"
is just about the most useless word in the dictionary as it is totally
chimaerical.

Why must we be forced to embrace open standards?

I'm very much in favour of open standards and interoperability and
cross-platform guff, and so on;
but NOT by force, and the option for a company to retain closed code has
to remain, however distasteful
that may be to the fanatical Trots running round brandishing their "open
standards at all costs" manifesto
as if it will suddenly solve all the world's computer problems.

Why should I uninstall Flash from Iceweasel? After all, all that will do
is stop me from seeing a vast number of websites; what it MOST
DEFINITELY WON'T DO is make programmers move en masse to HTML5 (I mean,
who gives a sh*t about little Richmond? or all the other little people
farting around with their computers?).

Many years ago; my late friend, Alexander Taylor Annal, who farmed on
South Ronaldsay, in Orkney
(and for whom I worked some 10 summers), collected me off the boat in
his recycled post office van,
and I noticed he (who had always been fanatical about seatbelt use) had
removed the seatbelts from
the van. Why? Because that was the year the British "Government" had
made seatbelt usage compulsory!