Permanent data in IOS app

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Mon Nov 14 05:32:34 EST 2011

On 14 Nov 2011, at 10:01, paolo mazza wrote:

> I need data not  to be cancelled when the user reinstalls the
> application or installs a new version of the application .
>
> Is it possible? How can I do it ?

Locally on the device this isn't possible. This is intentional on Apple's part - delete an app and you delete *everything* stored by that app.

This is also how users expect it to work by now, unless your app is a front-end for a web service such as a Twitter client, people expect a re-installed app to be 'new'.

> If it is not possible, I guess I have to record this data in a remote server.
> How can I get the IPhone Serial Number (or the IMEI or the ICCID )
> from a LC app ?

Not sure this is possible, you might also need to read the iOS developer's documentation as I have a vague memory of access to that info being deprecated/not recommended/not being allowed to pass the information over the network.

Does your app require some kind of online password or account?

Ian