iOS forcing interface rotation

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sun Nov 13 05:57:31 EST 2011

I'm not developing in iOS, but this intrigued me. It seems you can't force a reorientation (feature request?), but you can force a lock, by using the iphoneSetAllowedOrientations with a single entry, if the user then rotates the device, the new restrictions will be adhered after that point. However, it seems not to be possible to force the device to receive an orientation refresh by script.

--random step during my testing
on mouseUp
  --iphoneLockOrientation

  put iphoneAllowedOrientations() into prevAllowed
  put iphoneDeviceOrientation() into theCurr
  if theCurr contains "landscape" then
    put "portrait" into theNew
  else
    put "landscape left" into theNew
  end if
  iphoneSetAllowedOrientations theNew

  --maybe its possible to set iphoneOrientation()?
  --nope does nothing
  --put iphoneOrientation(theNew)

  --reset and force a redraw? nope, doesn't help it seems
  iphoneSetAllowedOrientations theCurr
  --iphoneUnlockOrientation
end mouseUp