WordLib Test Docs and LiveCode 5

Curry Kenworthy curry at pair.com
Wed Nov 9 17:36:52 EST 2011

WordLib users: This a heads-up on one LiveCode engine issue that affects
some test documents, plus exciting news on upcoming import features!

There's a new issue in LiveCode 5.0 that affects displaying animated
GIFs in fields when the images are referenced from files. Display a
moving GIF in your field and LC bails out completely!

This affects all such content and is not in any sense a WordLib issue;
the WordLib library simply makes it easy to load a huge variety of
content into fields, and that helps to identify any field problems.

But it does affect two of the standard test documents that come with
WordLib (TestMSWord2007 and TestMSWord2003) because they include
animated GIFs. LiveCode 5 will crash after importing these documents
(just as it will crash after putting similar content into a field by any
other method, not related to WordLib) when you scroll a field to the
point where an animated image is displayed.

I don't plan to edit those test documents; the whole point is to have
some files that put WordLib and LiveCode through their paces with an
over-the-top, almost insane level of formatting and content features, to
test all the various and cool features of word processing documents and
WordLib import, and to easily show up any problems. I'd rather leave
these documents as they are to show up any future issues.

So, I've submitted a bug report, and anyone who has access to the
LiveCode Dev Program/QA center can feel free to vote for this issue
there, or utilize a Quick fix to support the issue, if this affects your
project.

Animated images are fairly rare in word processing documents, but Word
clipart does include some animations, so it's always possible for a user
to insert one! If you offer your end-users the opportunity to open any
document with WordLib, you may want to use LiveCode 4.6.4 until this
engine issue is resolved.

I realize that this issue could lead people who are new to WordLib or
LiveCode to mistakenly assume that WordLib is causing a crash, but this
is not the case.

BTW, we're currently putting the finishing touches on a new version of
WordLib that will handle Unicode document imports in any language! If
you've been keen on making your projects more multilingual, it's coming
soon.

(Some of you have used a beta version with some Unicode capability, but
the upcoming release is greatly enhanced and much more powerful!)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy
--
WordLib: Import MS Word and OpenOffice documents
http://curryk.com/wordlib.html

WordReport: Template-driven MS Word and OpenOffice reports,
from invoices and worksheets to catalogs and mail merge
http://curryk.com/wordreport.html

Need custom software development or RunRev help?
http://curryk.com/consulting/