Formatting ChordPro music charts

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 00:50:38 EST 2011

Ooh, another breakfast cereal challenge - what better way to start the day? :-)
Here's my take on it; only lightly tested but looked alright in my variations:

##
on mouseUp
   putChordProPrintText(field"ChordProText") intofield"PrintText"
end mouseUp

private function ChordProPrintText pChordProText
   local tPrintText, tLine, tIndex, tInBracketFlag, tChords, tLyrics
   repeat for each line tLine in pChordProText
      put empty into tChords
      put empty into tLyrics
      put false into tInBracketFlag
      repeat with tIndex = 1 to the number of characters in tLine
         if char tIndex of tLine is "[" then
            put true into tInBracketFlag
         else if char tIndex of tLine is "]" then
            put false into tInBracketFlag
         else if tInBracketFlag is true then
            put char tIndex of tLine after tChords
         else
            put char tIndex of tLine after tLyrics
            if the number of characters in tChords < the number of characters in tLyrics then
               put space after tChords
            end if
         end if
      end repeat
      put tChords & return & tLyrics & return after tPrintText
   end repeat
   return char 1 to -2 of tPrintText -- no trailing return
end ChordProPrintText
##

HTH,

Jan Schenkel.
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====