Control ID problem

Peter Haworth pete at mollysrevenge.com
Mon Mar 28 01:53:56 EDT 2011

Thanks for trying this out.  The syntax I had was "put the short name of control ID 1" and it works 99.9% of the time (assuming there is a control id 1), just not in this one circumstance that I haven't been able to track down so I'm not sure what the difference is between what you tried and what I was doing.

I would have expected the defaultStack to work as you described but for some reason it didn't unless I specifically referred to the control as control ID 1 of stack the defaultStack.

It's a moot point now though since I've ploughed through my application and changed all references to IDs to use long IDs instead, more reliable that way.  The only thing I had to be wary of was that in a couple of places I am storing long IDs in custom properties and ran into the problem that the long IDs include the fully qualified path to the stack file.  That's fine as along as I'm just running in the IDE but when I built a standalone, that caused major problems.  I got around it by storing words 1 to -4 of the long ID to omit the stack file name at the end, kinda something between the abbrev name and the long name.

Pete Haworth