Is HTML text string within current scrolling visible area of browser window?

Keith Clarke keith.clarke at clarkeandclarke.co.uk
Sun Mar 27 15:27:36 EDT 2011

Jim, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head, here. That's exactly what I want to do - except that as I don't control the page source, I can't insert marker tags or strings of my own. However, there are unique strings that I know will be present on specific pages. So, if I could do a simple check of whether they are 'in view' in the scrolling browser window, I'd be very happy.

Is there a magic bit of technical jargon that I could use in place of 'in view' to tempt Google to be more forthcoming on what's involved?
Thanks again,
Keith..