Is HTML text string within current scrolling visible area of browser window?

Jim Ault jimaultwins at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 09:57:23 EDT 2011

On Mar 27, 2011, at 3:55 AM, Keith Clarke wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Can anyone help me with the correct terms to seed my Google search?
>
> I'm trying to discover whether it's possible to check
> programmatically (maybe with Javascript, Jquery, etc.) whether a
> specific element on a web page (that is readable from the page
> HTML), such as a specific div, tag or string, is currently within
> the visible rendered page area of a browser window with a (vertical)
> scroll bar.
>
> Otherwise, if it's a specific page - with a known layout and
> therefore calculable coordinates for the element to find - is it
> possible to know how the browser window's current size and scroll
> offset relate to the 'underlying' page?

This is a link to a page that gives a detailed javascript answer,
including sample code for calculating based on browser quirks.
It is a good read.

http://bit.ly/i00upp

(you should be able to see the entire discussion before being limited
to a preview.  Let me know if you have problems)

Jim Ault
Las Vegas