mySQL and defaults

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Thu Mar 17 21:57:15 EDT 2011

On Thursday, March 17, 2011 02:00:41 PM Bob Sneidar wrote:
> Oh thanks Warren! That will work famously! Unfortunately I just finished
> the code that strips all the DEFAULT parameters from all text column
> definitions LOL! I guess it's back to work undoing my last undo. Still,
> nice to know it can be done.
>
> Bob

Hi Bob,

I just tried this myself and find that the NOT NULL doesn't seem to have been
the key since this works, too:

mysql>  CREATE TABLE myTable(ID SMALLINT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,City VARCHAR(40)
DEFAULT 'Unknown');

Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.04 sec)

So, perhaps there was some other error in your query? Punctuation and spelling
are the usual suspects ;)

Best,

Warren