Speeding the transition between cards 2: tests on the iPhone device

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Mar 9 14:15:30 EST 2011

On 3/9/11 11:00 AM, eps11 at mac.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a follow-up on my first post. I have tried to put my App on
> the iPhone device to test it and it was even slower than in the
> simulator. So, as a test, I did the following: I have created a new
> stack with two cards. On the first card, I put a 320x480 image and
> two "Go card 2" buttons. On the second one, I put a different 320x480
> image and two "Go card 1" buttons (These images are actually 480x320
> images I imported using the "Import as Control" command, then resized
> to 320x480). Then, I built the app and put it on my iPhone 4. The
> page turns are very very slow. Even the loading of the app is slow.
> And I still can't understand why. Can you help?

It shouldn't be that slow (how slow is "slow", on average?) But what you
did is a good test. From what I've heard, imported images are
inefficient on iOS and you should use referenced images instead whenever
possible. The platform is optimized to load all resources from disk.

To do that, place your images in a folder and include that folder in the
Files and Folders pane of the standalone builder. They will be placed in
the bundle in your app after it's built. In your test stack, delete the
imported images and instead create new image objects with no content,
and set their filenames to the files on disk. Use a relative path; i.e.,
if your images are in a folder called "images" then the filename of an
image object would be "images/photo.jpg".

Build the app and see if that speeds it up.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com