Position of Answer Dialog

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 9 06:07:59 EST 2011

Hi from Beautiful Britanny,

Bob Sneidar wrote :

> That spelling of Dialog looks suspiciously French to me.
> Extra letters that serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever
> in the actual pronunciation of the word...
> Yup, French for sure. ;-)

 From the Shorter Oxford ENGLISH Dictionary :

Dialogue : (Middle English) first noted in 1597.

This was, of course, before the United States were even
heard of.

However, over the past 200 years, the Americans have
systematically beaten the English language to death,
and use the term "American English" to illustrate
the pride they have in this, their NEW language.

However, "English English" lives on :>).

If you want to castigate the French language, then
complain about the useless Masculine and Feminine
(le and la), or maybe the confusing posessive pronoun
(son et sa). And of course, the useless accents (which
only serve to precisely define the correct pronunciation.

A bon entendeur, salut (and this, from an Irishman) !

-Francis

Post Scriptum (that's Latin): Of course, this has NOTHING
to do with the Answer DialogUE !