On-Rev antispam (& reCAPTCHA)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Mar 5 14:17:54 EST 2011

On 3/5/11 9:46 AM, Medard wrote:
> Bonjour !
>
> After all, on my modest On-Rev blog, I am beginning to get some spam ;->
>
> In my blog, comments are written to separate text files -- so it's easy
> to delete and regenerate them when they are filled with spam ;-)
>
> But it is turning into a tedious work!
>
> I thought of a "reCAPTCHA" solution (now owned by Google), but it seems
> a little laborious -- and mostly I don't understand exactly how to
> operate with On-Rev...
>
> The "client" side is quite clear (a form with some script statements),
> but I don't see how to code the "server" side...

I had the same problem within a few minutes of putting up a contact
page. I started getting email from bots. My solution is dead simple but
I haven't received a single spam since I added it.

Bots don't seem to change any selections in option or radio buttons, so
I added two radio buttons to my form, named "verify" with values "human"
and "algorithm". The default is "algorithm", so anyone who wants to
email me has to change the selection. I intentionally did not use the
word "bot" just in case they do parse pages for that.

In my iRev script I do this in the section that parses the form data:

   if $_POST["verify"] = "human" then

If "verify" isn't "human" I discard the entry and don't send email. It
really does seem to work. I hate capchas, I can never read them. This is
easy and quick for any real person to use.

The page is here if you want to look:
<http://jacque.on-rev.com/formtest/testformsubmit.irev>

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com