On-Rev antispam (& reCAPTCHA)

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Sat Mar 5 11:03:24 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-03-05 at 16:46 +0100, Medard wrote:
> Bonjour !
>
> After all, on my modest On-Rev blog, I am beginning to get some spam ;->
>
> In my blog, comments are written to separate text files -- so it's easy
> to delete and regenerate them when they are filled with spam ;-)
>
> But it is turning into a tedious work!
>
> I thought of a "reCAPTCHA" solution (now owned by Google), but it seems
> a little laborious -- and mostly I don't understand exactly how to
> operate with On-Rev...
>
> The "client" side is quite clear (a form with some script statements),
> but I don't see how to code the "server" side...
>
> They do have some sample code, but not too much -- and no "irev" code,
> only PHP code (I am willing to do that in irev code)
>
> Searching the Nabble archives, I saw that Pierre "Wo...ords" used some
> antispam, but he seems to be using a simpler solution (number of chars
> of the email address)
>
> What are your thoughts about that?

Hello Medard,

Personally, I have always disliked captcha and in its current form I
absolutely hate it. I can hardly read the damn words and sometimes it
takes forever to get one I can read. Have you considered some variant of
"obvious answer"? You may find this not too tricky to script, presenting
a randomly selected question or task from a list and checking the user
supplies the correct matching response. This might get a little
cumbersome if there are number of languages you'd feel the need to
support gets long, though.

Good luck!