What's the best way to do objects?

Colin Holgate coiin at verizon.net
Tue Mar 1 12:49:53 EST 2011

On Mar 1, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:

> Ok you can't use a field, but beyond that? totally working?

It works with a button, and the plan would be to set the button to be invisible. It's just a container for handlers, and if it's self sufficient code it would be a bit like an encapsulated object.

I've always like the physical object way that HyperCard, Director, LC, and even Flash can work, but in the world of "real" programming, it's often a requirement of the job to do things in an OOP way, regardless of whether there is any value in doing that. In the Flash world a lot of people didn't jump on ActionScript 3 right away because they were convinced that you could only use it as OOP, and going from applying non-OOP scripts onto physical objects, to all external OOP code attached to nothing, was too abstract for them to deal with. I knew better though, and managed to do some very neat AS3 things just using non-OOP timeline code. Later I had to get the hang of the OOP way too, when doing a job where the client demanded that the code be done that way.