[OT] Apple at it again

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 9 09:02:20 EDT 2011

Forgive the thread necromancy, but it seems Chipp was right again - back
in February he wrote:

> Surprise, Apple changed their license terms-- again.
> http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9209580/Apple_s_new_App_Store_rules_affect_Amazon_s_Kindle
> My guess is just like the last time, after much hollering a screaming,
> Apple will change it's mind and backpedal.
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2011-February/153082.html>

Chipp's guess was correct, less than four months later:

    Apple Reverses Course On In-App Subscriptions
    Thursday June 9, 2011 2:55 am PDT by Jordan Golson

    Apple has quietly changed its guidelines on the pricing of
    In-App Subscriptions on the App Store. There are no longer
    any requirements that a subscription be the "same price or
    less than it is offered outside the app". There are no
    longer any guidelines about price at all. Apple also removed
    the requirement that external subscriptions must be also
    offered as an in-app purchase.

    Content providers may offer In-App subscriptions at whatever
    price they wish and they are not required to offer an in-app
    subscription simply because they sell a subscription outside
    the App Store as well