[TEASER] It is Alive! SFTP support in LiveCode

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Mon Jun 6 02:16:07 EDT 2011

Folks,

Today, more precisely at 3:03 AM, the SFTP external worked for the first
time and transfered its first file. It was a simple text file called
test.txt whose content was simply "YES", but hey, it worked.

The SFTP external is based on libCURL and libSSH2. Right now I managed to
build it only for Mac OS X with x86 processors but I think I am able to
build it for PPC and Linux as well. Windows might be a little tricky since I
am out of a windows machine right now.

The main issue was that the libcurl version that is bundled with Mac OS X
has no SFTP support, so I had to build my own from source and that had
dependencies such as libssh2 and others. After some effort, I could finally
build everything and managed to convince XCode to link statically with them
(XCode kept trying to link with Mac OS X bundled curl library). So after
linking for the first time, it managed to transfer a single text file over
SFTP connection. Right now it is a blocking call till I figure out how to do
callbacks.

There is a silly movie proving it here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1340110/XcodeSnapz002.mov
or if you want to view it over the web: http://www.vimeo.com/24707584 (it is
waiting in line to be converted right now)

There is still a lot of work to do before releasing this external but we're
now much closer to SFTP support in LiveCode.

This external will be commercial and will probably cost about USD 99 to
cover my costs of developing and the amount of tea I am drinking to calm me
down after working with gdb...

:-D

Now, who among you all is felling like a guinea pig and want to join the
beta tester group? Initial beta will launch for Mac OS X and then Linux,
after that I will worry about Windows.