Windows? [OT]

Roger Eller roger.e.eller at sealedair.com
Sun Jun 5 16:34:45 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Has anybody, ever, managed to get ReactOS:
>
> http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html
>
> to boot successfully, and install the thing?
>
> I have wasted more time than I could, possibly, have spent earning the
> money for
> a Windows licence, trying to get ReactOS to work.

I have never heard of this until now.  So I downloaded the 58mb preinstalled
VMware file they offer.  It booted in VMWare Fusion, but doesn't see the
network, and there is no web browser.  It looks very basic, but loaded in
less than 10 seconds.  If the goal is to rest LiveCode for the Windows
masses, I think it is best to use real Windows.

ReactOS looks cool to play around with though.  It has potential, but their
motivation is that UNIX will never be adopted on the Desktop.  I disagree.
 Ubuntu is gaining acceptance every day.  People ask for my help when their
PCs get infected.  I ask what they use the PC for... "ah, just surfing the
net".  When that is the response, I offer them an Ubuntu Live CD, and most
often, once installed, they never look back.

˜Roger