Naive Response 666

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 4 12:50:46 EDT 2011

--- On Sat, 6/4/11, Richmond Mathewson <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just uploaded a 7.1 MB zip file
> filled with various Open-Source stuff including 3 Gnome
> colour
> sets as Livecode Libraries:
>
> http://andregarzia.on-rev.com/richmond/revLibs/imageLibs.zip
>
> all of these are covered by some sort of GNU licence so you
> can sprinkle them all over
> your projects without feeling unduly guilty.
>
> Share the wealth.
>
> Richmond.

I can't help but feel that a good number of open source 'advocates' in the developer community don't quite grasp the idea of free / open source software project licenses. Most of the time, we're talking about free as in 'freedom' not as in 'beer' - the GNU licenses (GPL/LGPL/AGPL) and other OSI approved licenses spell out what you can and can not do.

The fact that it is 'some sort of GNU license' doesn't mean that you're free to do as you please and 'steal' them for your own collections.

I find it appalling that your download doesn't include any attribution nor the origin nor the licenses under which this artwork was originally made available. As a result, someone maty just copy it and use it in their own project, not realizing that this was not yours to give away.

Shame on you, Richmond!

Jan Schenkel.
=====
Quartam Reports & PDF Library for LiveCode
www.quartam.com

=====