revBrowser and Unicode on Mac OS X

Slava Paperno slava at lexiconbridge.com
Sat Jul 30 23:07:39 EDT 2011

Short version: revBrowser does not display Unicode characters in Mac OS X
(PPC/Tiger and Intel/Snow Leopard). LC 4.6.2 and 4.6.3.

Long version:

I finished writing and testing my Russian dictionary application in Windows
and started testing it in Mac OS X. My first surprise is that revBrowser
does not display Cyrillic (Unicode) characters--neither on a PPC (Tiger) nor
on an Intel (Snow Leopard) machine. The English portion is rendered fine,
including styles and everything, but Cyrillic is rendered as if every
double-byte character is interpreted as a sequence of two single bytes.

The source (the HTML text that is assigned to revBrowser as its htmltext
property) comes from a local html file or from a database record. The result
is the same. When the same text is assigned to the unicodeText property of a
field, everything looks fine.

The usual character set meta tag in the html is present and indicates UTF-8.
Works fine in Windows. Is there something about displaying UTF-8 in
revBrowser in Mac OS X that I need to know? The browser that is used by LC
is probably part of the Mac setup, right? All browsers on those two Macs
display the same Web page fine.

I'll be grateful for any solution. I hope it's something I'm doing wrong--or
not doing.

Thanks,

Slava