Where does survive the inventive user ?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Thu Jul 28 12:05:34 EDT 2011

I'm going to say doom. I purchased the lifetime On-Rev and the 5 year license when it was offered, partly because I want to see these guys thrive. If they do not, then sooner or later Livecode is destined to fail. So I invested in them when they needed capital to grow. If they had stock I would probably by some. What if they had faltered back in the Revolution 2.0 days? I hate to think of having to do things without a datagrid, without behaviors that make things like sqlYoga possible. That was HUGE!

Also, it's the focus on making Livecode a particular thing, and not what a lot of other developers want it to be that lends itself to continued innovation along "the right lines" and I think Open Source would not maintain that vision. RunRev takes great care to prevent making other people's past projects obsolete by ensuring the way things currently work will work tomorrow (sometimes to my disappointment). I do not think that Open Sourcing Livecode would preserve that consideration for backwards compatibility.

Bob