[OT] More Apple Foolishness

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jul 27 22:25:43 EDT 2011

On 7/27/11 7:51 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:

> Warning: Those for which Apple can do no wrong should press delete
> and move on to the next thread. You've been warned!

Well, that's pretty much me. For the desktop OS anyway. I'm getting more
broadminded in my old age though.

> Fact is, there are so many interface problems with iOS, I don't even
> know were to start.

Yeah. I feel like a traitor, but I am less than enchanted with iOS.
Apple, who used to be the master of intuitive interface, has dumbed down
iOS so much that I can't find anything. Last night I wanted to add a
bookmark to Safari and I had to look up how to do it in the user manual
-- there was no intuitive way. If you want to add a bookmark, wouldn't
you naturally tap on the bookmark icon and look for a command in there?
No, to add a bookmark you tap on the Export icon, the same one that lets
you save stuff or email a link. Silly me, expecting bookmark functions
to be under a Bookmark icon.

What I miss most are menus. All Android apps have a Home, Menu, and Back
button, and they always do the same things. iOS apps are capricious and
arbitrary with no consistency. The iOS Calendar has almost no interface
at all -- or if it does, Apple has managed to hide it successfully from
me. So it's back to the user manual. Aha. To link to an online calendar,
you do not open the button named "Calendars." No, no, that would be too
obvious. You exit the app and go to system settings, hunt for Calendar
in the list, work your way through a few screens, and set it there.

I have read more Apple documentation in the last 2 months than I have in
the last ten years. Maybe I'm just too entrenched in old habits, maybe
it's intuitive to new users.

My iPad is a gorgeous machine with breathtakingly beautiful apps, it is
faster (though much heavier) than my cheapie Android tablet and works
more reliably in iffy wi-fi situations. But in spite of my Android's
hiccups and performance issues, I still choose it when I want to
actually use a tablet for something other than testing.

About the ebook restrictions: the online media has been jumping all over
that the last couple of days. Everybody is about as PO'ed as you are.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com