Where does survive the inventive user ?

Bob Sneidar bobs at twft.com
Wed Jul 27 18:37:01 EDT 2011

It's hard to get people who know non-scripted languages to even look at Livecode, because they think that something simpler than what they already know has to suffer from an equal lack of speed, usability, features, security etc. Even still, if you can convince them that they can produce professional quality apps in a fraction of the time, they remember how long it took to learn their present flavor of whatever, and wrongly project the same time and difficulty to learning "another language".

I would say the best way is to actually produce polished apps and then showcase them, say in an online magazine that has that target audience. Talk about how much time it took to develop the app. Put example scripts in the article. Give links to some downloadable iPhone/iPad apps as examples of mobile apps. They need to get their hands on polished apps that do something well, and then be told "This took me 2 weeks to produce". Otherwise it's just another article in another publication among thousands every day.

And I wouldn't mention Hypercard or the other supersets of that much. That alone is enough to give the wrong impression that Livecode is not very robust. Oh yes, and perhaps have development set a couple weeks aside to deal with some of the quirkier Livecode issues that have been around for a while. No one wants to burn away their 30 day trial futzing with IDE eccentricities.

Bob