Livecode Server 4.6.3 - First impressions pt1 - Getting it working at Dreamhost

stephen barncard stephenREVOLUTION2 at barncard.com
Wed Jul 27 16:23:41 EDT 2011

After a bit of trial and error - many errors, Andre Garzia helped me get my
new Livecode server running at Dreamhost*. Twice.

I hope I am not 'stealing his thunder' here because I owe him a great deal
of gratitude for getting my sites working with LCS.( I know he wants to talk
about it  - when this very busy gentleman gets a second of time I am sure he
will have plenty of informative things to tell us.)

First tried the ".htaccess" method on my shared account. Couldn't make it
work, just displayed the binary of the executable into the browser. Garbage.
Andre tried too.

so then I got a VPS account with access to "root" - well sort of.

Andre made some changes in the Apache config file which was now accessible
 (as per the instructions) got LCS working everywhere in the server with one
installation. We were all celebrating when I tried to bring over more
domains using the control panel.

The site move trounced the Apache config file.
hey, this was just too delicate to be useful. Besides - I really don't need
LC on all my domains.

Sheepishly, I cried "ANDRE" !!

Andre went back in and finally came up with simple changes to the suggested
".htaccess" file and it works!

working file structure:

(site root)

.htaccess    (htaccess1 file at site root)
*(cgi-bin)*      (directory)

.htaccess  (htaccess2 file inside cgi-bin)
*(livecode-server)*

livecode-server    (application binary - set to 755!)
*(externals)*
*(drivers)*

.... other site files

script of .htaccess #1

Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
AddHandler livecode-script .lc .irev
DirectoryIndex index.irev index.lc index.php index.html
Action livecode-script /cgi-bin/livecode-server/livecode-server

script of .htaccess #2

Options ExecCGI
SetHandler cgi-script

Wonderfulness! Livecode running on all my own sites at last.

*next:   actually using the new version 4.6.3 - and an editor surprise.*

* disclaimer - On-Rev is a great service and most people would be happy just
hosting there and be done with it, rather than hosting elsewhere and setting
up their own server. Half my sites being at Dreamhost (and many email
addresses and namesake domain) and a long history with the Dreamhost had a
lot to do with me trying to do this. I am sort of a control freak.

But I never found anything objectionable in ON-Rev's quality of service.

Stephen Barncard
San Francisco Ca. USA