Tahoma Font

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Tue Jul 26 19:09:49 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, July 26, 2011 05:37:14 PM Bob Sneidar wrote:

> 1. ONLY use fonts common to all systems. This is fairly easy with Windows
> and Apple, but becomes problematic with other flavors.  2. Create an
> installer that includes the truetype fonts you use, and install them via a
> shell. This of course may mean licensing the fonts you want to use, unless
> you choose public domain fonts. 3. Script for the detected operating
> system and as Scott said, brute force it. This is just ugly, but is
> probably the most flexible way to go about it.

I have seen font surveys and lists which suggest that even the popular web-safe font list is not as bullet-
proof as most sources imply.

I Don't understand why detecting the system and setting the fonts accordingly should seem ugly to anyone. It
seems like a perfectly natural thing to do. It's certainly not something that needs to be rediscovered every
time one starts a project. Play with it a little one day, and store your script snippet. You can do it! It
doesn't strike me as philosophically any different from bundling a font and forcing the use of that font, btw;
just forces you to jump a different (low) hurdle :)

Best,

Warren