stackfiles -- how to use?

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Jul 25 14:28:36 EDT 2011

On 7/24/11 9:42 PM, Nicolas Cueto wrote:
<snip>
> To do the above, here are my steps:
>
> STEP 1) place the following script in card 1 of AllMightyStack.exe:
>
> on openCard
> setUpFoundation
> end openCard
>
> on setUpFoundation
> put "Index-stack,Index-stack.rev"&  cr&  "game1,game1.rev"&  cr&  \
> "game2,game2.rev"&  cr&  ....&  cr&  "animationEngine,animationEngine.rev" \
> into tStackFiles
> set the stackFiles of stack "Mainstack.exe" to tStackFiles
> open stack "Index-stack"
> hide stack "Mainstack"
> end setUpFoundation
>

> STEP 2) in Livecode open the property-inspector for stack
> "AllMightyStack.rev" and then in the "Stack files" panel add
> Index-Stack and all the game-stacks. After which, I save as a
> standalone.
>
> STEP 3) repeat the above two steps for Index-stack.rev
>
> Anyway, I'm guessing I don't need to do STEP 3. But now I'm also
> guessing STEP 2 is superfluous. Or is it?

Stackfiles are a permanent property of a stack, so you don't need to set
them more than once. If they don't change, just set them up in the
inspector and save the stack. I think I'd only set them by script if
they were dynamically determined at launch; for example, if a script
reads a folder to determine which files are available.

I'm not sure whether the inheritance hierachy applies to stackfiles, I
don't use them too much. It seems like it should. But if all your
navigation is done in the mainstack, then that would be the only one
that needs to have stackfiles set.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com