The Multitude of LC web dev tools

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Thu Jul 21 19:57:16 EDT 2011

> On-Rev - a paid web hosting service from Revolution.  For any web
> applications or just those developed with LC and if the latter, with what
> tools?

Any website supports php, perl, cgi and all that other stuff. ANd of course on-rev also has revServer built in.

> revServer - a way to develop web server applications using a mixture of LC
> stacks and html

Using a mixture of LC scripts and html (stacks can be used, but are not integral to the technology, and where added just this month). For example:

> revIgniter - a third part tool to help with web server development - is that
> any web server or does it have to be a Revolution based server?

Only works with RevServer (for example on-rev hosted sites)

> I also see reference to a way of running CGI scripts with an older version
> of Revolution on the web server.

Everyone should mail RunRev and ask for the CGI engine to be given to them. basically this free feature got removed in favour of revServer, but you can still get that older version of Rev (wasn't LC yet), just ask.

> And then there's Rodeo although I haven't seen much mention of that recently
> and I don;t believe it involves LC scripts?

Rodeo is made with LC, but not specific to LC coding.

> So, let's say I have an application in mind that a user will access from
> his/her favorite web browser either on a desktop or perhaps an Android
> device.  On the server, I need to format pages of html to send to the user.
> and access data in an SQL database.  Some of the pages will be static and
> others will change depending on database content.  What are the recommended
> tools to achieve this?

use cgi or on-rev, depending on your budget, and how much you value your own time (CGI or revServer on your own host is harder to set up then just buying on-rev).