Lion problem report and fix

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 21 18:05:28 EDT 2011

Josh Mellicker wrote:

> Just wanted to let everyone know, Lion permissions default to not allowing Livecode to create folders in "/Library/Application Support/" with the "create folder" command.

I believe that's true with earlier versions as well if the current user
is not admin.

Apple recommends using the user's App Support folder, where LC's "create
folder" seems to work well:

    Contains all application-specific data and support files. These
    are the files that your application creates and manages on behalf
    of the user and can include files that contain user data.

    By convention, all of these items should be put in a subdirectory
    whose name matches the bundle identifier of the application. For
    example, if your application is named MyApp and has the bundle
    identifier com.example.MyApp, you would put your application’s
    user-specific data files and resources in the ~/Library/Application
    Support/com.example.MyApp/ directory. Your application is
    responsible for creating this directory as needed.

<http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGUide/MacOSXDirectories/MacOSXDirectories.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010672-CH10-SW1>

There may be special cases where you'd need to use the system-wide App
Support folder, but those should ideally invoke the admin dialog, since
any access to system directories without that would pose a security risk.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World