Countdown HH:MM:SS

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Jul 20 13:06:05 EDT 2011

> Using the dateItems is definitely the right direction, but my objective is
> to count backwards from for example; 2 hours, 45 minutes, and 59 seconds
> while updating the display field every second.  When the countdown reaches
> 00:00:00, I would play a sound of do other actions.

Sorry about that... this will work if you just want to count down from a fixed amount of time:

on mouseUp
  DoCountDown "2:45:59"
end mouseUp

on DoCountDown pTime
  convert pTime to seconds
  subtract 1 from pTime
  convert pTime to dateItems
  split pTime by ","
  put format("%02d:%02d:%02d",pTime[4],pTime[5],pTime[6]) into tNewTime
  put tNewTime into fld "Time"
  if tNewTime = "00:00:00" then
    TimesUp
  else
    send "DoCountDown tNewTime" to me in 1 second
  end if
end DoCountDown

on TimesUp
  answer "Done"