ANN: LiveCodeErrors for iPhone

Andre Garzia andre at andregarzia.com
Wed Jul 20 11:45:57 EDT 2011

irgh,

Hey Guys,

Is it friday 13th here? What is happening? Mark made an mobile application
that he likes and some other people find useful, props to him. Others don't
see the need, that is ok. Mark is not forcing anyone to buy anything,
actually, for someone to want his app, this person needs to know more than
day-1 livecode, it needs to know about LiveCode error codes.

I see the utility in his application. In some stuff I did, I allow
exceptions to bubble up in the following manner: I try to figure out what is
happening and if it is recoverable, if it is not, then, I present my own
error message followed by the error codes. Also if you are doing LiveCode
Server, sometimes, the engine will spit out error codes, I don't have a
recipe but it happened to me before.

I know enough LiveCode to have my own systems to deal with it but none of my
systems work on mobile. I can see someone not in front of his machine, using
this.

I don't think it is fair to accuse Mark of exploring the naivete of people.
He is just offering a mobile app for some bucks. For someone that does not
have a RevMobile license and thus can't recreate those two lines, this might
be useful.

I think there is a terrible miscommunication going on here. Richard wanted
to know if there was any standard case where the errordialog from LiveCode
would fail to display human readable errors. He wanted that because he
wanted to file a QA report at the quality center since LiveCode own
dialogbox should handle everything. Mark created an application for the
cases where the error codes are not passing thru LiveCode dialogboxes (maybe
their are caught in a try/catch block) and the developer did not pick the
errors from the list. There is no harm here guys.

For errors people always had options:
* Let livecode error dialog translate them
* use one of the web front ends available (Mark had one, Jacque had one)
* rolll your own
* don't care, panic, rollback and recover (<-- my personal tools are like
this)

Now what started at as a very good thread where one developer launched a
product and another developer asked if there was a case where the built-in
tools failed, derailed into a very bad thread that will soon be locked
because the internet is not meant for arguments but for discussions.

come on guys, we just launched 4.6.3. The new LiveCode Server is around the
corner and many scripts need to be patched. Mobile is growing and 2012 is
the Year of the LiveCode RevLet!!!!! (I Want To Believe).

We have better things to do then to keep this thread on. Products are like
standards, when you don't like them, you just don't use them. Can we go back
to a normal sunny day in Rio?