age calculation on Windows vs Mac

SparkOut SparkOutYNY at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 19:18:40 EDT 2011

I don't know why this is the case, because Windows can obviously calculate
dates prior to the 1970 start of epoch in other applications... but
something to do with the method LC uses to hook into a date function based
on the epoch will fail.

Try:
put the date into tDate
convert tDate to dateItems
put 1928 into item 1 of tDate
convert tDate to short date
if tDate is not a date then
  answer tDate && "is not a date"
else
  answer tDate && "is a date"
end if

On Windows, this will always result in "not a date". I know a great
percentage of LC users are Mac oriented but there are plenty of
cross-platform and Windows developers, so I am rather surprised that there
is so little attention paid to this - and the old, old, old bugzilla entry
#4941 from 2007.